Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Bargain, chapter 5, teaser

Charles cleared his throat. “Daughter, your time away seems to have toughened you. I’m surprised to see you forgo the relative luxury of the Kensington to sail home on the most modest of my ships.”

“Is it so hard to believe that I missed you, Papa?” Her confession caused a lump to form in Charles’s throat, for in truth, he had missed his daughter, as well.

“Aye, well…so enough of thither and yondering for you?”

“Aye, father.”

“So…” Charles was reluctant to bring up the reason for their enforced separation, but he couldn’t help but be curious. “Have you chosen, then?”

Charles didn’t look at his daughter as he asked the question. Bella twisted the simple gold band on her finger once, before laying her hand on the one her father had between them. Charles looked down at their joined hands.

“You may call me Madam Cullen, if not by my given name, Papa.”
 

No comments:

Post a Comment