Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Bargain

I'm starting a summer fun fic that will post fast and furious.  The first chapter is already live.  The fic is called "The Bargain" and is based on a 1970s era bodice ripper by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss.  Here's the summary:

A condemned man consents to wed a lovely heiress to free her from an unwanted arranged marriage. For his name she promises that which is only hers to give. When the bargain is violated what recourse has the cheated man, bound for the gallows unfulfilled?

So, a little tease, perhaps?

"I am cursed," she muttered. "Would that I were born poor, so I would know that a man wanted me for myself."

And this, she fully believed. Neither her beauty nor riches had aided her in finding a suitable life mate. Once it was known that she was the daughter of Charles Swan, one of the richest men to ever walk the market, young men in need of a wealthy spouse crawled from the woodwork to seek her hand.

Her refusal to accept the court of even the most deserving of these young men drove her father to issue his ultimatum.

"The young studs flock to you, but you refuse any man with a name to be proud of." His inconsiderate words bruised Bella's pride and brought a hot rush of tears to her eyes. Heedless of this, her father continued.

"What are riches for if they are to buried with you? I want grandchildren! Are you set on being a spinster? A poor man with a title to give to his heirs would bestow upon your children power at court. The wealth I have, it is the name I lack. You could give that to them, by accepting the hand of any of the rutting swains.

"It is my cross to bear that I be blessed with a daughter who has the beauty to choose among barons, earls and dukes. Instead she whiles away her days waiting for a knight on a white horse to sweep her off her feet."

It was at this point that Bella made her mistake. She chose to argue with her father, goading him into driving his walking stick into the floor at her feet.

"You have one year to come to your senses. If, on your twenty-first birthday you have not married into a family of the aristocracy, I will promise you to the next strutting rooster still young enough to get you with child. If I have to drag you to the altar in chains, you will obey me."

No comments:

Post a Comment