Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Finish Line

Chapter 10 teaser

"So why didn't he want you to take over for your grandfather when he retired?"

"Age, really. I've been interning or working for CE since I was 17 years old, so I had almost 10 years here when I was appointed CEO, but I'm still very young for the position."

"How old are you?"

"Twenty-nine." Bella's eyebrows rose in surprise.

"What?" I asked her. I was sure there wasn't anything she was thinking that I hadn't already heard.

She narrowed her eyes thoughtfully and tilted her head. "Now that you've told me, I guess I can see it. You have a very commanding presence about you. I thought you were older."

That wasn't something people ever said. She had surprised me. I looked down at my drink before taking another sip.

"How about you, Bella? How old are you?"

"Mr. Cullen, don't you know it's impolite to ask a woman her age?" she asked in a falsely offended voice.

"I'm not asking you as a woman, I'm asking you as an employee."

"That's even worse," she exclaimed with a small laugh. "Aren't you banned from asking an employee about her age?"

"Technically, but I'm sure you can see how it might be necessary for me to know, considering our unique working relationship."

"True…." She pretended to ponder. "I'm twenty-four."

No comments:

Post a Comment