Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Moving On

Chapter 3 teaser

"Welcome to Cullen Enterprises, how can I help you?" she asked with a slightly bored tone of voice.

"I have a lunch appointment with Edward Cullen at one o'clock," I replied.

The receptionist's eyes widened slightly and she looked at me with a bit more interest.

"Name, please?"

"Isabella Swan." I swallowed. The receptionist's vague interest in me had served to intensify the nervousness I was feeling.

She glanced down at a list of names on her desk.

"I'm sorry, Ms. Swan, I don't see your name on the list."

"Oh. Um…" I was at a loss. I guessed her list was generated yesterday and probably didn't include lunch meetings set up in the middle of the night. Then I remembered what Mr. Cullen had said when he asked me to meet him.

"Mr. Cullen said that his secretary would be aware of the meeting. Perhaps you could call her?"

The receptionist raised an eyebrow slightly and reached for her phone. I got the impression that she fully expected to be told to toss me out. She dialed the extension quickly and looked me in the eye while waiting for the call to go through.

No comments:

Post a Comment