Saturday, June 5, 2010

Lady at Lunch

Chapter 12 teaser

The three men sitting with me stopped talking. All of them were now looking at Ben. I introduced him and he joined in the general conversation.

It was a complete coincidence that I was looking out the cafeteria door when Jasper walked by. He was on his cell phone, but caught my eye as he made his way down the hall. Through the glass wall, I could see him freeze in his tracks a few steps past the entrance to the café before taking three steps backwards and standing in front of the open door. His eyes were on mine as he said a few more words into his cell and snapped it shut. He entered the cafeteria and approached our table.

"Good afternoon, Bella. Here to pick up the item I'm holding for you?"

"Hi, Jasper, yes," I answered.

"Good. Come up to my office with me?" Jasper looked at the men gathered around the table.  "Good afternoon, gentlemen."

The four men around the table suddenly looked like little boys caught with their hands in the cookie jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment