Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Highest High and the Lowest Low

Chapter 27 teaser

"One, two, THREE!" I let go of the horseshoe, but Bella held on a bit longer. By the time she let go she was so high in her swing that the horseshoe went straight up in the air. I followed its progress incredulously before realizing it was likely to come down right on our heads.

"Shit!"

I grabbed Bella by the shoulders and pulled her out of the way of the falling horseshoe. She stumbled and we went down in a tangle of arms and legs. Not knowing if the horseshoe had hit the ground yet, I scrambled to cover her head with my own body before throwing my arms up over my own head.

I heard a meaty thunk nearby and raised my head cautiously. The horseshoe had landed less than a foot away from us. I rolled over to let Bella free. She didn't move.

"Bella?" I reached over and tapped her shoulder gently. Her back and shoulders were shaking and I began to worry that I hurt her.

"Bella? Are you okay? I'm sorry. Did I hurt you?" The words came rushing out of my mouth in a torrent.

She still hadn't moved, except for the shaking. I jumped up and ran around her before squatting down in front of her. Her hands were covering her face.

"Bella? Bella!" I pulled her hands away from her face and registered that there were tears streaming down her face.

No comments:

Post a Comment