Sunday, June 6, 2010

Chai Tea and Sapphires

Chapter 16 teaser

"Alice, what are these outfits for?" I asked holding up the book.

She looked over and a wicked smile appeared on her face.  "Those are for the club's soft opening."

My eyes went wide. "You want me to wear something like this? In public?" I pointed to an outfit that was scandalous, at best.

"Well, that one might be a little over the top for you, but a club opening isn't a charity ball. You're going to be competing with some pretty heavy hitters when you're there. Women your own age. Gorgeous women your own age. I can't have you looking all dowdy."

"I'm not in a competition, Alice. I don't need to dress like a tramp."

Alice sighed.  "Bella, listen. You know that there's nothing going on between you and Mr. Cullen. I know it, too, but no one else does. What's more, you want people to think that there is. I don't want to hurt your feelings, Bella, but honestly, your job at the club opening is to be an accessory. Arm candy. You need to look good so he looks good. It's what you signed on for."

Alice would force me into some pretty revealing outfits over the next year using that exact argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment